If you haven't heard, my sorority Chi Omega, at Utah State University was closed down this month. An amazing sorority sister of mine had words on her blog that I just had to copy to mine, becuase it is exactly how I feel at this very moment. I really think that every Chi Omega sister of mine feels the same.
Not only did I meet my best friends there, I met the love of my life there (Sam). Chi Omega changed me FOREVER! (I have tears just typing this).

The Utah State chapter of Chi Omega is closing. Now I definitely know the stereotype of sororities...but before you think that, please just think of one thing in your life that you passed judgment on, then actually experienced and changed your mind....or, something in your life that you wish people would not judge. I could go on and on about what Chi Omega has meant to me, and to many others (300,000 nationally to be approximately exact)...
As I heard the words "This chapter will be closing." I too was completely heartbroken. Crushed. Sad. Devastated. Overwhelmed. All my wonderful college memories running through my head, the majority of all of them involving my Chi Omega association.
Although I do believe that the decision was made with the best interest of all involved and I wholeheartedly agree that it had to be done given the circumstances.
I couldn't help but think what the future women attending USU will be missing (I must admit I had dreams that one day my own daughter, Makenna would one day become a Chi Omega as a Legacy)... It's an experience of a lifetime.


I think about my Chi Omega experience and think....
No more late night chats in the upper hall.
No more throwing buckets of cold water over the shower door on the poor unsuspecting victim.
No more long Monday nights in the hot, musty chapter room.
No more getting ready in the laundry room.
No more picking out dresses for formal.
No more flipping late plate tags....
No more hawaiian haystacks..
No more friendship pillow
No more boards....not that I ever had one....ha
No more trips to Aggie Station for coke
No more all-greek meetings
No more recruitment workshop....long summer days....
No more backyard fun
No more Preference night in pretty black dresses, cheesy songs, candlelight... "in the shades of evening, there will be no grieving...until we meet again....."
No more Patty asking me to "just mouth the words" during Pref. singing....
No more waiting in the hall for meeting to start
No more owl pals...
No more Big/Little Sis week...C-H-I-O days....
No more sisterhood retreat
No more candle passings
No more Pass it On book...
No more concessions
No more Derby Days will the EXs
No more Round Up
No more Halloween Carnival
No more watching the EXs from the sitting room window
No more watching the ENs from the kitchen window
No more greeting New Members at the TSC patio with red and yellow balloons and a giant banner
No more House Meetings-signing up for laundry times, house duties, and hoping for no "hootie duties"
No more flag football, softball, basketball...
No more ordering tshirts
No more Convention in the summer
No more sleeping in the chapter room
No more hanging out on the balcony deck in the summer
No more House Clean-Up (!)
No more date dashes
No more fraternity formals (yikes)
No more Professor Tea
No more decorating the hallway bulletin board for Recruitment
No more moving cars in the tiny driveway
No more Robin's Awards
No more trying to balance that weird top-of-a-dress looking thing to wear for composite pictures
No more writing in the journal in the sitting room (I have the older, green one if anyone's interested in catching up on old times!)
No more more eitiquette lessons from T-rish
No more trying to guess the code on the front door when you forgot it
No more gathering in the front room for Fireside speakers and lessons
No more Cardinal Cabinets
No more letters on the front of the house
No more trophies in the trophy case
No more owls on top of the trophy case
No more Super Bowl parties in the chapter room with LOTS of junk food
No more Christmas Party with gifts for your Big and Little Sis
No more creepy boiler room
No more gathering in the Big and Little Pit
No more study hours
No more cardinal and straw
No more white carnations
No more Senior Week
No more slate meetings
No more Initiation
No more Ex-Boyfriend (Curtis) Advice on the white board
No more singing the Happy Birthday song for all to hear even when it wasn't my birthday
No more Chi Omega Cowgirl Fashion Shows
No more watching the Bachelor all together in the Chapter Room
No more having to wear white underwear (I guess you still can if you want)
...Ah, a small list of the best 4 years of my life.

Here's the reason for the chapter closing:
Since the tragic death of Michael Starks on November 20, 2008, Chi Omega has held his family in our thoughts and prayers.
As of November 26, 2008, the Alpha Gamma Chapter of Chi Omega at Utah State University has been suspended of all activities, pending further investigation. On January 19, 2009, a team representing the national fraternity visited the chapter to complete the Chi Omega investigation. As a result of this visit, the Governing Council of Chi Omega made the decision to close Alpha Gamma Chapter effective January 21, 2009.
The Governing Council recognizes that Alpha Gamma Chapter has had a history of achievement in many areas and has many outstanding alumnae since its installation at Utah State University in 1930.
Founded in 1895 at The University of Arkansas, Chi Omega is the largest women's fraternal organization with more than 290,000 initiates and 173 collegiate chapters.
4 comments:
How sad to be closed down. Will they ever reopen. Keep your memories alive with your sisters!!!
Liz
I'm sorry Miss....when we heard that on the news here locally, both Alex and I looked at each other and said "Missy will be sad..."
Sad day...I share so many fun memories and friendships. If it weren't for Chi 0 i wouldn't have you as my amazing big sis. Love you miss!
wipe a tear...
Post a Comment